Tuesday, May 6, 2008

5 More Favorite Little Things

  1. Watching movies with my girls and some yummy treats. I love M&M's that are still crunchy on the outside but all warm and gooey on the inside. Yum! This time we put them in warm popcorn (love the sweet and salty), but I also love to make brownies, then melt marshmellows on top and add M&M's (while warm to get them meltly), then drizzle with warm chocolate frosting. Mmmmmm. If you don't try it, you're missing out!
  2. Yummy food in general. I eat when I am stressed and when I am bored. If you know me, you know that if I am not stressed, I am probably bored. So there you go.
  3. The man that brings me the yummy food. Eldon brought me and the girls Cold Stone and Johnnie Carino's chocolate cake one night without us asking even though he was on a diet and didn't eat a bite. Oh yeah, you know he loves us.
  4. My girls' stories. What imaginations! These pics are of one of my favorite mommy moments. We were waiting in the car while Eldon was in the grocery store. Gracie was telling me the funniest stories and giving me the best kisses and hugs. It was pure gold.

5. Okay, this (extremely gross) pic doesn't really represent one of my "favorite things", but it is one of the little things that is coming to mean more to me. More below...

My girls spilled cereal and other messies all over the floor one morning. I was sweeping it up and feeling a little frustrated knowing I would just have to do it again after lunch, then dinner, and maybe in between. However, I've got to say I have learned something over the last week.

It started with one the NICU nurses I was working with talking about not being the "martyr" and enjoying your housework. (Yeah, sure, I kind of thought.) But I kept pondering that. Then I read Mosiah 2:17, "...when ye are in the service of your fellow beings, ye are only in the service of your God." And I thought, "There you go. I'm not a slave, I'm a queen. And just like King Benjamin, I'm just being righteous by serving my people." :) I was being kind of sarcastic. But kept pondering. Slowly, I've had a change of heart as I have been working harder to keep our house clean and organized. At first I was doing it in preparation to show the house, but then I started doing it because it feels good. I've learned that this is one major way our family shows each other that we matter. We care enough for each other to keep our home clean, comfortable and somewhere we want to be. This may be my new addiction. I haven't eaten nearly as much chocolate. Ask me if I keep it up after we move though :). I hope so...

No comments: