Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Wonderful World of Construction

Just wanted to take a minute to celebrate a few more baby steps towards finishing the new house. I definitely have a love/hate relationship with this house. I hate the constant "to do" lists, the endless decisions, and the continual challenges. I love seeing all that planning and work come together to create something beautiful. It has been fun in that regard--to see what you imagine come to life. Though we often complain about the challenges (sorry), I know we have been blessed. Most things have turned out better than we imagined or hoped. Here's a sneak peak. Remember, we're still under construction...



Stucco and rock are done! I believe they started in March. Should have probably taken 3-4 weeks instead of 3-4 months; but, hey, I think it turned out pretty good.





This is the fireplace in the great room. We wanted it done in this special stone coating (Arcus Stone). We thought we were all set with a contractor to do it; unfortunately he strung us along for weeks and then tripled the price! Yikes. Fortunately, we were blessed to find Southfork Custom Coatings. Jason did a great job at a very reasonable price. So grateful Eldon did the footwork to find him. (The fireplace still needs the decorative faceplate put on in these pics)


Looking down on the greatroom from above. I think Eldon went a little crazy with the trim in this house. We'll never make our money back on it when we sell, but it is really beautiful. It is fun to have tried it this once. Eldon and Dan (our trim guy) came up with some really cool stuff.
This is Eldon's cofford ceiling. Each of the boxes will be lit with rope lighting hidden in the crown molding.

Paneling in the guest room. (Hint, hint. Friends and fam, come stay with us!)


Piano room. (Can't wait to take the white paper off the glass on the doors.)


Darris (our tile setter) and I layed out the travertine for the girls bathroom today. It's kind of different, but I think it's beautiful. Eldon found a wholesaler who sells travertine for about the price of porcelain tile. Score! This is a sneak peak of Annalese's room. She has been wanting a clock for her room for a long time. We have been waiting to find one that will match the colors of her new room (blue and brown). I love the blue we picked, and I found this clock on clearance for $12.50!!!

We'll that's it for now. More later. Posting this has really helped me see how much we have been blessed throughout this project. I feel so unworthy of this house. It's not the biggest or the nicest house around by any means; it's just so much more than I need. I will feel more comfortable when we sell it. But, for now, I am grateful I can be a part of creating it!

3 comments:

Rubalcavas said...

Oh my gosh that's beautiful! How about you build one for us when TJ gets out of school!

Amy said...

What an awesome house, just waiting to be a home! Sure is fun to see your family. If you want an invite to my blog email me at daltonites@gmail.com
Keep in touch, girl! :)
amy stewart dalton

kim said...

Shyla! I found you through Keri Pickett's blog...what a cute blog. The girls are absolutely beautiful, and growing up so fast! Rod told me the house was beautiful, but it was so fun to see it for myself! I am so excited for you! Take care! Kim Sorenson